Wednesday, March 28, 2012


 Yesterday Will was playing in my room around 5pm and decided he needed to go get diapers.  Lots of diapers.  Diapers from Katie's room while Katie was asleep.  So he snuck in her room and got LOTS of diapers and then slammed her door shut on the way out. She woke up fairly unhappy.

I went and got her and brought her into my room and sat her on the bed with Will.  She was still out of sorts from her rude awakening.  Will was getting off the bed and somehow he bonked his forehead right into the corner of my nightstand.  He started crying immediately and so did Katie.  She is a sympathy crier.  When Will looked at me, he had an open gash on his forehead.  I could tell by the size and location that it was going to need stitches (unlike when he busted his chin open and we steri stripped him together!). 

So Will and Katie are both crying.  I get some steri strips and get them on him and have him apply pressure.  He is crying, Katie is crying... I call Chad and can barely hear him on the phone so I just tell him that Will cut his head and he needs stitches.  Chad heads home.  I call Kathleen and she graciously offered to come over and take crying baby Katie over to her house for a few hours.

Then they were both fine.  I went to get everyone dressed.  Will wanted Katie to come to the hospital and to wear a tutu.  He wanted to pick out some toys to take.  He was 100% acting like himself.  It was great. 

We met Chad at the hospital and Will enjoyed every step in the 3 hour process.  He liked being checked in, he wanted to help the nurse do everything.  They listened to his heart beat, he wanted to listen to my heart beat.  The sweet nurses entertained his requests.  Once we moved to a room, Will then had to reenact everything they did to him to me and Chad. 

Once they evaluated him, they had to put on some numbing cream.  It had to stay on for about an hour before he could get stitches.  During that time, Will consumed only 2 Popsicles.  He was hopeful for more, but they didn't know how he would react to getting stitches and didn't want him to have anything more in his tummy.  Chad had to head home to get Katie, so Will and I just hung out and played fireman and doctor.

Once it was time for the stitches they brought in the papus.  We renamed this the hugging bed which he liked until he got the stitches.  The nurses said he couldn't feel anything but he could feel the tugging which must feel strange - especially to an almost 3 year old.

After he got his 3 stitches, he got another Popsicle while we waited to be discharged.  When it was time to go he asked if we could just stay for 5 more minutes!  He loved the hospital. 

When we came home, our sweet neighbor Tara had cupcakes waiting for us!  We finally made it home around 9:30pm and he passed out.  And so did I!

the weigh in

playing doctor

the numbing cream under the band aid - orange Popsicle

green Popsicle

getting in the hugging bed - his legs are SO long!

he's smiling!

breakfast of champions - thanks Tara!

wearing his Taz band aid

hugs for his sister

No comments:

Post a Comment