Monday, December 7, 2009

Christmas Traditions


Last week at my mom's group meeting, we talked about holiday traditions we want to share with our little ones. There were so many ideas shared - making gingerbread houses together, doing a service project as a family, decorating the tree together, the list goes on. I love the idea of having holiday traditions.
For me, I loved lighting the candle at church when we sang Silent Night. They would dim the lights, and you would light your candle from the flame of your neighbor's. I loved watching the candle burn and always wondered if/when the wax would drip down onto my fingers. I didn't want to blow out the light but finally would when the lights came up.
I also loved when we would go to Zilker Park to Santa's Workshop which I swore was the actual North Pole. I mean, I knew it was the North Pole. We took a little train that transported us from Austin, TX to Santa's workshop for the evening. It was magical.
On Christmas morning, we had to wait upstairs while my dad turned on the Christmas music (Magic 95 FM) and brought in any last minute gifts. It was so hard to wait upstairs especially since I had likely been up since the crack of dawn. On the way down we would open our stockings and kick off the gift giving extravaganza. It is always a most fabulous day to enjoy our family and a delicious feast.
For now, the one Christmas tradition we are committing to is an annual photo ornament. I love seeing the photo ornaments on our tree - including one of mine from elementary school with a picture of me on a Styrofoam ball that was cut in half. The picture was cut out into the shape of a circle and attached using glue and adorned with a ribbon. It is fun for me now to see these pictures of me when I was little, and I want to do the same for Will. We ordered his ornament from Shutterfly, and I think it is the perfect first in this holiday tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment